David Hirsch has spent four decades practicing municipal law covering a wide range of matters relating to public agencies, serving in the position of city attorney for a majority of that time.
David served as the City Attorney for the City of Simi Valley from 1998 until 2008. Before that he was the City Attorney for the City of Lompoc for 17 years. He has also served as a Deputy and then Assistant City Attorney for the City of Simi Valley and worked in the City Attorney’s Office in the City of Gardena.
As a partner with Carmel & Naccasha LLP, David focuses his practice on municipal law, land use law and related matters.
David also chooses to spend much of his time contributing to the professional development of his field of practice by participating in organizations dedicated to public law. David has been active in the City Attorney’s Department of the League of California Cities. He chaired the group’s Mobile Home Rent Control Committee (1989-1994), served on the Municipal Law Handbook Editorial Board (1993-1995), and was 2nd Vice President, 1st Vice President and President of the City Attorney’s Department (1995 to 1998). From 1996 until 2012, he chaired the Department’s Municipal Law Institute Committee, which annually organized and co-sponsored symposiums on municipal law issues at law schools, including U.C. Hastings, UCLA and Stanford. He has taught municipal law at the Ventura College of Law and the Santa Barbara College of Law. He was a member of the State Bar’s Public Law Section Executive Committee from 2009-2014 and served as its Chair during the 2013-14 term.
Active in the communities he has lived in, he was on the Board of Directors of the Lompoc Valley United Way from 1984 to 1998, and on the Board of Managers of the Simi Valley YMCA from 1998 to 2008. He also volunteers with a number of organizations in the City of Arroyo Grande.
- Arroyo Grande in Bloom – volunteer
- Arroyo Grande Valley Harvest Festival – volunteer
- Arroyo Grande Public Arts Committee – member
- The Tree Guild of Arroyo Grande – volunteer
- California State Bar Public Law Section Executive Committee – former Chair
- San Luis Obispo County Bar Association
- The State Bar of California
- Supreme Court of the United States Bar
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D. 1977)
- University of Southern California (M.P.A. 1974)
- California State University, Dominguez Hills (B.A. 1973)